The currency conversion will provide the mean rate as offered by interbank services. The actual rate that you will receive to buy and sell currencies will vary by 2-5% depending on who you use to change your currency.
TIPS ON GOOD RATES & TRAVEL MONEY
- Avoid changing money in airports where possible. No commission advertisements simply disguise terrible exchange rates.
- Use a currency specialist to convert money, avoiding high street banks, post-offices or similar. You will almost always get a better rate with reduced transfer fees.
- Bring what you need for tips and local expenses in cash. Even though a few lodges may accept payment with a credit-card, you will be charged higher than normal conversion fees at a less than advantageous exchange rate. Pre-book your cash requirements prior to your trip and only use your card for emergencies of shop purchases.
- When you do need to make overseas purchases we suggest you use a credit and not a debit card. They typically provide greater security against fraudulent transactions.
- A word on air-miles. Although there can be a temptation to use cards overseas to contribute to your air-miles if you collect them in almost all cases the foreign exchange and transaction fees charged will offset any possible gain from air-miles collected!